Photobucket

Thursday, May 29, 2008

reading round-up...

I'm still finding time to read fairly regularly! This makes me happy. A quick update of what's been on my nightstand recently...

The Goose Girl is a book that my sister recommended to me a couple of years ago. I never got around to picking it up, so she finally brought me her copy the last time she visited. Okay, so once I did pick it up I barely put it down. I started reading one evening and finished the next morning, stopping only to slumber briefly and send the children off to school. A fascinating fairy tale, nicely written. Who knew I would enjoy this whole fantasy genre as much as I do? I liked it so much that I quickly borrowed its sequel from the library. (Why does everything I read lately have a sequel?)

Enna Burning was a good read but didn't capture my attention like Goose Girl did. I started reading and put it down for a while. I picked it back up again a couple weeks later and finished it in two days. The story took a while to get going but once it did I was eager to read on. It was good enough that I'm planning to pick up the next in the series, River Secrets. And I'm looking forward to reading more of Shannon Hale's writing.

But first, I can't wait to start reading The Host! The Husband bought it for me while he was grocery shopping the other day (sweet). I've been planning to get it since it was released a few weeks ago but have just been too busy. I'm so glad he thought of it. I'll start reading it tonight. I wonder if it will be as bewitching as the Twilight series was for me. I hope it will because, wow that was/is a fun trip and I hope it won't because, gah I just don't have the energy to be that invested in two series! We shall see...

1 comment:

april said...

i love "the goose girl"! i actually haven't read "ena burning" (people didn't recommend it as strongly). i did like princess academy a lot though. i also read "austenland" by shannon hale; didn't grab me at first, but overall a pretty good read.

let me know how "the host" is. my friend, stace, liked it.