Photobucket

Saturday, August 11, 2007

birthday happiness...









My birthday was the other day. The big 3-6... I'm officially on the downhill roll toward 40! Funny, I still feel like I'm 23 with extra baggage... lots of extra baggage!

It was a wonderful birthday! I can't usually say that. I typically have huge expectations that I can't even put into words. Not grand, amazing, expensive expectations... just expectations of being satisfyingly fulfilled... extra special for the day. See, I can't put it into words. Anyway, this year I was almost too busy to notice that my birthday was coming and didn't psych myself up for it and voila... happiness!

The husband brought me breakfast in bed, a simple, sweet fruit cup and a tall glass of orange juice accompanied by a heartfelt, handwritten card. A wonderful way to start the day. Then I stayed in bed for a bit and each of the kids came in one by one as they woke and brought me precious, handmade cards that they had made days and weeks ago. Princess had been saving hers in a special place for days and asked regularly when it would be time to give it to me. She was thrilled when she realized it was the "big day!" She also sang Happy Birthday to me approximately twenty times throughout the day... whenever she thought of it. How sweet is that?

Then I packed up the kids and reluctantly went to the gym. In the end I was really glad that I did despite a messy potty training accident by Cha-Cha! We spent the rest of the day with Shaka and her munchkins, my Mom, and my sister-in-law and sweet, baby niece. We shopped and had lunch at a fun, gourmet market and then spent a couple hours at Ikea. Fun, relaxed shopping with happy kids... good stuff!

When we finally returned to my parent's house, The Husband was there slaving over the perfect dinner. He had a custom vegetable lasagna made for me at the previously mentioned market (happy coincidence), filled with spinach and mushrooms and yummm! He made a beautiful salad with mesclun and fresh cucumbers from my parent's garden topped with lovely raspberry nectar dressing and almonds. A beautiful platter of my favorite... slabs of fresh mozzarella drizzled with olive oil & balsamic vinegar, layered with thick tomato slices and basil leaves. Oh, and hunks of buttery garlic bread! Lovely... so lovely. I couldn't believe he did all this. Dinner for thirteen! Cooking is not his forte and this was an undertaking that took a bit of forethought and planning. I was impressed!

Dessert was a huge ice cream cake, which has always been my favorite. With an August birthday, icecream cake is a must! He complied with my childish yearly request of a candle for each year of my age... so, 36 candles! I'm not sure how much longer I will be able to get away with this, especially with icecream cake! I managed to blow out all but one candle which Cha-Cha, who was sitting on my lap, happily blew out for me.

As if all that weren't enough The Husband and kids also got me the object of my desire... a Superhero necklace! Some more Joy in my life! It's even prettier in person than I thought it would be! I also received several other happy gifts from family and friends... chocolate truffles, lavender lotion, pretty decorations, practical gadgets, babysitting coupons... how lucky am I?

What a surprise... I am satisfied, fulfilled, special... the perfect birthday!

photo via Martha Stewart Collection at Macy's

3 comments:

Mumsy said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

Suma said...

Hi, Wish you a very very 40th Happy Birthday...

cheers,
suma
-------------------------------------------
http://www.gourmet-chocolates.org/

laina kay said...

lindsey - thanks!
suma - not 40 yet... thanks for the happy wishes though!