Photobucket

Thursday, April 10, 2008

uglies...

Picked up this book at the library the other day. I wanted to get another Jane Austen but was relegated to the Children's floor by Cha-Cha's rambunctiousness (wow, that's a long word!). I had a mental list of three or four Young Adult books that had been recommended to me recently but every. single. one. was checked out! Pout! I was just about to give up when I saw Uglies. I'd heard of it, but never anything about it. I braced myself for a book about high school cliques and cattiness but it turned out to be more interesting than that.

A futuristic world based on superficial milestones where perceptions are carefully controlled. A cautionary tale reminiscent of The Pedestrian and The Giver , it's a slightly disturbing and thought-provoking look at where the future could lead.

An entertaining read and, wouldn't you know it, there's a sequel. Now I've gotta find out what becomes of Tally and David, I guess I know what I'll be reading next, ah well guess I'll make the most of my time in the Children's Library...

2 comments:

Kage said...

I just read about this on a blog yesterday, which of course I would post too if I was THAT savvy. Anyway, according to my friend there are at least 4 in the series. I am a fan of The Giver, so I might put these on my list. Still can't bring myself to do Twilight yet....

laina kay said...

Kage - I say read Twilight, if you haven't yet. I adore that series. Never thought I would but... so glad I do : )