Photobucket

Friday, July 13, 2007

finished...

Okay, I finished reading The Lovely Bones. I started it on Tuesday night and finished it on Wednesday night. I could. not. put. it. down! Just one more chapter... Possibly more for closure than not being able to get enough. I just wanted things to get better.

The book was strange to me. The first 2/3 of it I was completely invested... I was there... I was part of it... sick with the horror of it. Then the last third I was just reading. She kind of lost me somewhere. This seems to happen frequently when I'm reading. It feels like toward the end of the book the author just tries to wrap it up. The crux of the story is told and they lose steam. Does anyone else feel this way? Don't get me wrong, the story was very skillfully written... I felt like I was part of it until the end when I became just a spectator.

Anyway, for anyone who hasn't read it... the actual story was very disturbing and I'm still working that part out for myself. So much I want to say about it but I'm not sure. It was a very interesting viewpoint of a family in crisis, a fascinating way to narrate the story although it became slightly unbelievable in certain chapters towards the end. Oi... aren't you glad I'm not a book critic? Can't put it into words... A good read, although stomach turning. Some details were a bit too depraved for me, just ugly, and I'm trying to decide if they were all necessary. Anyway... an engrossing book overall.

3 comments:

Rochelleht said...

I thought the same thing after I read it and almost everyone I know has said the same. It was great until the end. The end actually totally pissed me off and was totally unneccesary, I thought.

laina kay said...

Rochelle-I'm glad that I'm not the only one who was skeptical at the end. I've since read a few reviews and apparently even the official book critics thought the end was a "stumble" in the storyline.

Calie Durant said...

I agree, the ending wasn't thought out well.